Initial Information on Schools’ Closure
When preparing for emerging crisis situations and emergency closures, the key tasks are to:
- Inform your parents of the current situation via Letter 1 to Parents.
- Identify numbers of defined vulnerable children who will be offered a place (EHCP/ Social care involvement/ others needing help and support).
- Identify parents in our schools that meet the key worker categories.
- Identify the children of key workers – who are the children of key workers, and who are the vulnerable children? See the sections below for details.
- Draw up a list of children that will be offered a school place.
- Inform parents that they have a place.
- Identify which staff are vulnerable / absent / have underlying conditions-in order to calculate staff capacity / assess complement of staff.
- Identify remaining staff capacity in each of our schools including First Aid, DSL, site management, cleaning, catering, Headteacher/ senior teacher etc.
- Identify any children that may need safeguarding during this period and categorise appropriately. Distribute letters to parents of children who will need a safe and well check. Clarify processes and personnel for safeguarding roles.
Key workers are defined as per this link:
Vulnerable children and young people are defined as those who:
- are assessed as being in need under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, including children who have a child in need plan, a child protection plan or who are a looked-after child.
- have an education, health and care (EHC) plan and it is determined, following risk assessment, that their needs can be as safely or more safely met in the educational environment.
- have been assessed as otherwise vulnerable by educational providers or local authorities (including children’s social care services), and who are therefore in need of continued education provision – this might include children on the edge of receiving support from children’s social care services, adopted children, those at risk of becoming NEET (‘not in employment, education or training’), those who are young carers and others at the provider and local authority’s discretion.
Further information can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision#vulnerable-children-and-young-people